Everything we sell is first inspected for safety.
Our goal is to make buying used as convenient, safe, and reliable as buying new. To this end, everything we sell is fully inspected for safety, functionality, and cleanliness.
- We follow the CPSC’s guidelines on the sale of used products.
- Unlike peer-to-peer marketplaces, we are able to track current and historic recalls and never list a recalled item.
- We use a non-toxic, eco-friendly disinfectant on all products during inspection.
How our inspection process works
All products we sell undergo a thorough quality and safety inspection by our product team before being listed in the TOYCYCLE marketplace. That includes products consigned to us from families and b-stock or open-box products we receive from toy and gear companies we’re partnered with.
Here’s what that looks like:
- Items are received in our warehouse and sorted by type.
- A TOYCYCLE team member inspects each item to ensure it is in excellent condition, fully functional, includes all its parts, and has not been recalled.
- We clean the item with a non-toxic cleaner and then photograph it. We occasionally add stock photos to better show how a product works.
- We then research pricing and list the item in our marketplace.
- Once sold, another team member does a second quality inspection prior to shipping.
What our cleaning process looks like
- Hard-surface toys and gear are wiped down with a non-toxic, eco-friendly disinfectant. We use soft cloths and brushes to get dust or dirt out of nooks and crannies.
- We require that consignors launder clothing items prior to giving them to us. During inspection, we check to make sure clothing looks and smells clean prior to listing.
- Soft toys and other soft gear items are also wiped with a non-toxic disinfectant.
- We pay special attention to baby toys that are likely to go into a baby's mouth.
How we handle recalled items
We closely track recalled items and don’t list them for sale. If you purchase an item from us that is later recalled, we will do our best to inform you of the recall so that you can stop using the product immediately. When possible we will provide information from the manufacturer regarding eligibility to receive a replacement product or have a defective product repaired.
We are very strict when it comes to safety and recalls. Frequently we have rejected items that were not under recall but were similar to items that had been recalled.
So you can rest assured that we have done our best to ensure the quality and safety of the products we sell.